So this is just random post, but hopefully it is informational.
Unless you are living under a rock (like one of my brothers who didn't know what H1N1 was) I am going to assume you have heard of H1N1 and the assoicated vaccine. I know a lot of people have a lot of questions regarding the virus and the vaccine so I thought I could share some info and direct you to some factual information.
As of about a week ago I have been vaccinated against both seasonal flu and H1N1. There is a lot of apprehension regarding the H1N1 vaccine which is to be expected since it is new. I will admit it is very nerve wracking to get a new vaccine, with questions like is this really safe, was it accurately tested, is it even gonna work, or will this have side effects later in life, all going through your head. In my case I was also saddled with the thought of how is this vaccine going to affect my babies who are very busy developing inside me!!!!!
Being a healthcare worker who works the frontline of acute care and also being pregnant I was at the top of the list to be vaccinated, so I had to do my research and do it quickly!!! Lucky for me my best pal Dennelle loves to do research and is always up on the latest literature so I picked her brain and she led me to some very informative resources.
I won't bore you with the articles, but I will share with you some of the data that is out there. Also, the cdc website is chalk full of information for patients that is not full of medical jargon and is meant for the consumer. The web address is www.cdc.gov also www.flu.gov . Obviously I found it in mine and my family's best interest to be vaccinated, this post is in no way intended to sway you one way or the other, just some food for thought! I truely believe that this a personal decision that each person or couple has to make for themselves or their family.
Here are some facts:
-76 children under the age of 18 have died since April 2009 with H1N1 nationwide, that is pretty close to the number that die in a typical year of the seasonal flu and we haven't even reached "flu season" yet.
-In most of the above mentioned cases, the children did have a chronic illness that put them at risk, but in 1/3 of the cases the child was perfectly healthy.
-There is a small amount of Thimerosal (what most people refer to as Mercury) in the multi dose vials, but they also make a preservative free vaccine and you can ask for that. (This is the one that I got)
-As of Oct, the H1N1 virus is now considered widespread in the state of WV. There have been at least 5 deaths and over 200 hospitalizations in the state
-This past weekend I worked at the walk in clinic and was overrun with patients with flulike symptoms. Most had fevers greater than 102 and most were kids. It blows my mind that it is Oct. and we are already seeing people this sick
I hope this has been informational...check out the websites they are very informational and helpful. It is a very stressful situation but it is definitely better to be informed.
I need to do another post, I have some new ultrasound pics!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment